This site comprises the remains of a Byzantine lewish town, also mentioned in the New Testament. Its restored synagogue, houses, and workshops allow the visitor a glimpse into the village scenery that /esus would have known
April–September 8am.– 5pm
October–March 8am – 4pm
Fridays and holiday eves: 8am – 3pm
Last entry to site one hour before above closing time
Remains of a jewish town mentioned in the Babylonian Talmud (Menahot 85/A), as renowned for the good wheat grown there. ln the New Testament (Matthew 11/21, Luke 10/13) Korazim is mentioned
as a city condemned by jesus, together with Beth-Saida and Capernaum.
Eusebius’ Onomasticon describes Korazim as a ruined city. The town covers an area of some 100 dunams and is divided into five quarters. The central quarter of the town contains a synagogue, remains of three large buildings and a prominent paved square in the center
of the quarter.
Earliest occupation of Korazim was in the first or second century C.E. and was located on the slope of the northern hill. In the Mishna and Talmudic period, third-fourth centuries C.E., the town grew and spread southwards. Most of the remains visible today date to this period. At the end of the Talmudic period in the fifth or sixth century C.E., the town was restored. Many repairs and changes were carried out in the original buildings and in the synagogue. The next period of growth was in the eighth century, during the Early Arabic period, when additional changes were made in the various buildings. After a hiatus of several hundred years, settlement was renewed in the thirteenth century CE. A small population occupied the site from the fifteenth century, until the beginning of the present century. A traveler passing through the area in the sixteenth century, reported about jewish
fishermen living in Korazin.
The first excavations of Korazim were conducted by Kohl and Watzinger in the early 1900’s, as part of their survey of ancient synagogues. Excavations were renewed in the 1920’s by the Hebrew University and the British Mandat Government’s Department of Antiquities. Extensive work in the central quarter was carried out by the lsrael Department of Antiquities and Museums between 1962 and 1965. Further excavation and restoration activities were carried out between 1980 and 1983, as a joint enterprise of the National Parks Authority and the Department of Antiquities and Museums.
The Israel Nature and National Parks Protection Authority, with the participation of the Israel Government Tourist Corporation, carried out conservation work, built a promenade path and explanatory signs.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.